FIRST BLOG POST!
Oh hey there! It's me, Katherine: a social media guru by day, baker by night, and now, blog writer, I guess! Spoiler: This is my second attempt at a blog. My first go-around was several years ago when I started a food blog that my heart was half invested in. After I graduated from college and started my big kid career, that blog totally fell by the wayside, and, if we're really being honest, I wasn't exactly sad about it. Aaaaanyways, after seeing a few of my cool internet friends take the leap to start blogs I have been itching to give it another try!
During the process of trying to figure out what the heck to write a blog about I realized the list is endless, which is honestly pretty daunting. I don't know about you, but when something is super open-ended, the lazy girl in me tends to look the other way instead of tackling it. As a small business owner who is trying to chip away at growing my brand, avoiding things isn't really an option these days. So, here is my condensed list of things to write about: baking (obvi), small business life, travel, and cooking! A pretty good list, if I do say so myself.
To kick this thing off, here is a lil baby summary of me:
- I have a "day job"! I work as a social media marketing manager and I seriously love it. It engages both my highly analytical side and creative side - I know all the small business owners out there can relate to both of those things! I work from home but adhere to office hours so it's not as super-flexible as you may think. Because of the hours of my job, I do my baking during my lunch break, in the evenings, and on weekends.
- I am married - my wife's name is Brody and she is amazing. She does a lot of my dishes, eats everything I make her taste-test, and has the best work ethic of anyone I've ever known. We have 3 dogs named Mason, Remy, and Georgia Peach and a hedgehog named Huckleberry. I'm sure I'll find ways to talk about all of them all of the time so... good luck not getting annoyed with that!
- I started baking as a hobby and always had a goal of starting a business. However, I never thought I would be a home-based to start off with, that part of it just kind of happened by accident! I love how personal having my own little cake company is and the relationships I've been building with clients are incredible. My long-term goal is to open a brick & mortar but that's reeeaally long-term!
- Traveling is my favorite thing - it even tops baking! You'll probably see a healthy dose of travel related posts on here. Brody and I are going to Thailand in November so, get ready for a whole lotta stuff about that!
- Cooking is also towards the top of the list of my favorite things but I never seem to have time to do it anymore (see: full time job + baking + trying to have a life), so maybe this blog will help motivate me to cook a dang meal once in a while!
- Weddings were never on my radar. My sister got married in May and let me make her wedding cakes (hi, sisterly trust). Before that, I had not even thought about trying to get my foot in the door of the wedding industry but haven't looked back since. Making those cakes gave my little business some feet to stand on in the wedding world! The gorgeous photos by Alexandra Knight Photography didn't hurt, either!
- The name "South Fork Cake Company" came about when I realized I hated the name "Cakes by Katherine". The idea of having my own name in the name of my business really made me cringe hard, even though I love so many businesses who do this, it just wasn't for me. I live on a river and it just so happens to be the south fork of said river... you see where I'm going with this. I really love this name and could not be happier with my decision to change it.
- I live in northwest Washington and I'm obsessed with it. However, my wife and I have serious issues with staying in one place for very long. We bought our house about 2 years ago and have put a ton of work into it but are already talking about moving somewhere else. Obviously, this would be a huge decision since my business is just getting started but, hey, we're impulsive so who knows!
That's the list. A pretty decent summary of me as a person but still somehow tells you nothing about me. Thanks internet!
I'm looking forward to seeing where this blog goes. Let me know if there is something specific you want to hear about - I'm an open book!
Until next time,